Friday, June 11, 2010

Therapy and the first two weeks

After the initial few days are done and you accept the fact that therapy is a part of life, it's really not all that bad. Here's the thing, though... you have do to exactly what they tell you to do. Don't push too hard, but don't get lazy. If you need to do exercises three times a week, then do them. It doesn't matter how bad it hurts. There were times I would've rather cut off a finger than do my exercises, but you just have to.

At about the 1 week mark, I had already broken 90 degrees on my bend and could start to get a good quad flex. A few more therapy sessions later, and I was at a 128 degree bend. I was thrilled to death. I only have about 10-15 degrees left to get to a full bend! That's not to say I'm almost recovered, but at least I can bend my leg.

I've graduated to just one crutch and can walk with my brace unlocked. It gets a little wobbily from time to time, but as long as I focus on my steps and don't try to walk over too much of an un-even surface, I'm pretty good. I've conquered stairs (albeit VERY slowly), and already sat through my first Pirates game post-op. Things are progressing rapidly now. I just have to keep at my rehab, keep at my exercises at home, keep it elevated, and keep it cold. If I can stick to that, I think the next couple of weeks should fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment