Sunday, May 30, 2010

Days 2 & 3

The next two days are pretty much the identical to each other. I spent the days feeling great one minute and crappy the next. I had to do my workouts 3 times a day and let me tell you, they're not fun. One of the most important exercises is to flex your quad muscle (the thigh muscle right on top). It's UNBELIEVABLY hard to flex that muscle, but absolutely critical to continue to use it. Otherwise it tends to shut down and the road to recovery becomes even longer. As painful as it is, it's key to just push through it. Pop a pain-pill, bite onto a towel, and push through.

The other thing to expect is a fever. I've been hanging around a 99-100 degree temperature for about 2 days now. I called the doctor and they said it's completely normal, and they expect that to happen. As long as it doesn't go above 101.5 and the knee doesn't turn "angry red", everything's still normal. I have to say, I'm very anxious to shake the fever.

I'm getting to the point where I can bear all of my weight on my leg for brief moments. I fatigue easily, but I'm already seeing the benefits of working hard on my exercises and trying to stay active. I'm hoping to be rid of these crutches within a couple of weeks.

Sleeping is difficult still because I hate sleeping on my back. I've moved into the bedroom now because I'm starting to cramp up on the couch. It's the little things you never expect that make this a crappy experience. But as I said in a previous post, I couldn't have done anything without my fiance. She's had about 10 hours of sleep in the last 3 nights because she's constantly making sure everything is okay with me. Having someone there for you is seriously half the battle.

I'll try to update more regularly now. The last few days have gone by so quickly, and hanging out on my computer is seriously the last thing I wanted to do. If you're checking up to see how I'm doing... I'm doing great and thanks for checking up on me! For anyone reading this in anticipation of what's to come... I won't lie, the first few days suck. However you keep getting better each day. And always remember, it's just a knee. There are people out there with real problems, real health issues. You can do it, just stay focused. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment